Local welcome for Liberal Democrat vision for Britain
Liberal Democrats in Northampton have welcomed the launch of the Liberal Democrats' vision for Britain by Party Leader Nick Clegg MP. Called 'Make it Happen', the paper will be debated at the party's conference in Bournemouth in September.
In 'Make it Happen' the Liberal Democrats say:
• They will cut taxes for ordinary families
• If your local hospital can't see you on time, they will pay for treatment elsewhere
• They will switch taxes from people to pollution - so it pays to go green
• To improve standards in education, they will fund extra help for those who need it most
• They will put Britain at the heart of Europe to make us a force for good in the world
• They will stop ID cards so we can keep control of our privacy
• They will change the voting system so everyone's voice counts
• They will bring communities together with local people in charge
• They will give communities a say in how offenders pay for their crimes
Andrew Simpson, Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidate for Northampton North constituency, said, "I am delighted to be able to back 'Make it Happen'. It sets out how the Liberal Democrats will run Britain.
"No resident of Northampton has escaped the rising cost of food and fuel. The credit crunch is biting hard and local people are feeling the pinch.
"Nick Clegg has set out how we can help ordinary people through cutting taxes on those on low and middle incomes. Thousands of people in Northampton will benefit from this.
"We are taking the plans in 'Make it Happen' to the people of Northampton during the summer to get their response. And in September, we will be heading to the Liberal Democrats' conference where we are looking forward to taking part in the debate."